In 1896 work began on the second building, a cottage for women. Passmore Edwards again provided the necessary funds, some £2,861. Sited near the main gate, well away from the men's dwellings, the cottage could accommodate 24 Colonists. It was named Eleanor House, after Mrs Passmore Edwards, and was officially opened by Mrs Bayard in 1897. The cottage was built in red brick with red roof tiles and half-timbered oak gables. The name can be seen in bold letters above the window to the right of the front door.