The Great Western and Great Central Joint Railway, the last to be built through Buckinghamshire, was opened to goods traffic in Gerrards Cross in 1905 and passengers in 1906. Originally the route was intended to pass through the centre of Gerrards Cross common but the parish council persuaded the railway company to move the line to the north and follow its present course. Two hundred navvies worked on the project for four years, and the undulating terrain of Chalfont St Peter and Gerrards Cross necessitated massive civil engineering works, Pictured here the cutting through the Chiltern chalk (looking towards the Gerrrards Cross Station bridge) runs for well over a mile and is 14m deep. To the right are the temporary tracks the contractors used to remove the spoil from the site.
see also ger-008-f